Friday, January 30, 2009

You can call me your 'little dude', mom

For months we talked with Kai about giving up his most prized possession, his blanket. We had determined that he would leave it in Vanuatu and become a big boy by joining the 'No Blanket Club'. We wanted to light a fire, paint our faces, and have a little island ceremony and have him throw it in there. We thought about doing it 2 days before heading back home, that way he would get out all of the tantrums before the 27 hour trip. 4 days before we are leaving he wakes up and hands me his blanket and says, "mom you can have it now". I said several times, "are you sure?" and he stated he was sure. So I took it from him knowing that he would not see it again.


A couple of hours later he cried for his blanket and then a couple of hours after that he screamed for it. Then before bed he just laid there, teary eyed and said he missed his blanket and then went to sleep.

The next morning he woke up totally fine and said mom, you can call me your 'little dude' now (he would never let me call him that before). He is a big boy now! I was so proud of him. He is 3 years old and he made the decision on his own...he even grieved over it like we grieve over the loss of something we love. How amazing are you Malakai!

1 comment:

becca said...

This is precious :) Aren't little ones so amazing?